Re: History, Not Politics

Ralph,
It is a truly regrettable thing over there. I argued with a good friend of mine from Florida- a fellow Canadian, who has immigrated there and was a strong Bush supporter, before this began. Unfortunately I was right and I get no satisfaction from that. I can only think of the tremendous waste of young lives - particularly the US troops as I am ex-military (as is my friend) and I met a lot of US service people when I was still in. But how can you undo a mistake like that? Looking at what I just wrote, I really don't have much to say but I thought you might like a little support.
Gary

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
"We have been led into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honor. We have been tricked into it by a withholding of information. The Baghdad communiques are belated, insincere, incomplete. Things have been far worse than we have been told. Our administration more bloody and inefficient than the public knows. We are today not far from disaster." (T. E. Lawrence dispatch from Iraq, 1919, as reported by The Berkeley Daily Planet newspaper)

"If these people are crazy enough to kill each other over religious differences, the United States has no business being in the middle." (letter in today's San Francisco Chronicle)

I strongly supported overthrowing Saddam's regime but now find myself ruing every additional American life (3000 and counting) and dollar ($300,000,000,000 and counting) wasted there. Think what we could have done here at home with that money -- practically every program and tax cut anybody could think of. I am thankful that none of my family is "over there" and am sorry for those who are.
Sincerely,

Ralph