From: Javier Encinas [mailto:jencinas(--nospam--at)asdipsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Footing design for uplift

Sometimes in hurricane-prone zones the controling load in footing design
is
uplift. However, the text books are silent about methods to estimate the
selfweight to counteract the uplift force. In addition of the concrete
footing we have also the soil cover and the slab on grade. What angle of
the
cone is appropriate (45 degrees?), and what is the tributary area of the
slab that helps to keep the footing in place? Any good reference on the
subject, or full scale tests? Thanks in advance,

Javier Encinas, PE