Re: Notched Wood Beam

Sounds like tau.max=1.5V/A. You might take V at a distance d from the face of the support. Don't forget to check bearing on the reduced section. It also sounds like a tenon, and the above is the way I do it, though I don't take the actual end reaction.

Jordan

IRV FRUCHTMAN wrote:
Fellow Engineers:
I have a case where a simply supported, rectangular
wood beam is notched at the bearing ends by halving
its breadth. I'd appreciate learning a method or a
reference to calculate allowable design shear.
TIA,
Irv