RE: Isolation joint

As an alternative to Teflon coated plate, you may consider ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE).  It's available in sheets and strips and in a wide variety of thickness.  We use this for rub-strips for ships fenders, and similar.  We typically bolt the material in place using countersunk bolts.  A two inch thickness gives enough room for countersinking the bolt heads and is rigid enough to space the bolts out.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Landon Anderson [mailto:landon(--nospam--at)oddogws.com]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 9:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Isolation joint

I have a situation with a PEMB and retaining wall foundation. A driveway at the top of the wall leads into a structural floor (concrete on steel joists) on the 2nd floor of the building. The building designer does not want attachment of the wall to the building structure to avoid possible lateral loading of the building. The wall is designed to be self supporting. We have a 2” gap between the approach slab / wall and the interior concrete slab that we need to close off and waterproof. We specified an elastomeric compression seal sealed with epoxy. The contractor has no confidence that the seal will not leak over time. We have further discussed a detail where the interior slab extends over the wall and is isolated with a Teflon plate “slip” joint that would allow the wall to move without transferring load to the building. Anyone have any experiences or other ideas?

Thanks,

Landon Anderson

970-945-1006 (office)

970-984-3949 (home)