From: Michael Laplante [mailto:michael.laplante(--nospam--at)cima.ca]
Sent
: Friday, January 12, 2007 12:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: reinforcement in topping slabs

I have a project that involves pouring a topping slab onto an existing structural slab.  The topping slab ranges from 3 inches thick near a sump pit to 6 inches at the wall of the room. The room/ slab size in approx 16' x 24'.  A bonding agent is currently specified.  I was wondering I should provide reinforcement in the topping slab to control cracking.?  Does the presence of reinforcement really help ?  Can the majority of the cracks be controlled by a well defined curing procedure.

Mike