RE: Existing Buildings

Unless you are within jurisdiction that warrants the retrofit of old buildings for seismic performance, it is unlikely that most building departments will require the existing building code for concrete and masonry if there is little or no risk to lateral instability. Wind generally takes second place to seismic forces due to the mass of the exterior walls. I would guess that in most areas of the country, the existing building code is used very little with the exception of the sections on light-framing (raised floors on cripple walls). The question, I assume, deals primarily with lateral analysis and this is rather unusual unless the area has relatively high seismic activity. Although I’ll take a guess, I would think that most structures in high risk zones to hurricane are designed using masonry or concrete and this is not what Will was referring to.

I just don’t see It as unusual that someone in say Nebraska will have a need for the existing building code to retrofit a concrete or masonry structure against wind or seismic forces. If the jurisdiction has adopted the ICC codes then it would stand to reason that unless modified by the local jurisdiction, the ICC Existing Building code for the same year would be acceptable. I know in Riverside County California where the concrete building I retrofit existed, the building official allowed me to use the ICC Existing Building Code as my guideline since the UBC codes were not updated since ICBO now publishes under the ICC title.

Dennis

From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 2:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Existing Buildings

Will Haynes wrote:

He states that since there is no existing building code, ...

Well, to be sure, there is at least a MODEL "Existing Building Code." Whether it has been adopted by your jurisdiction or not is another matter. However, if your jurisdiction uses the ICC codes, it's hard to argue against it being at least an "industry standard," legally adopted or no.