Re: Partial grout CMU shear wall

Also look in Chapter 16 of the UBC.  I believe that there is a provision
in the UBC (I know it is in the IBC, but don't have my UBC with me) that
bascially says that if you change the seismic loading to an existing
element by 5%, then it has to be re-evaluated and potentially reinforced
in needed...or something to that effect (don't recall exactly what it
says).

As to references for design of partially grouted CMU walls...

You might try the Masonry Designer's Guide from TMS
(www.masonrysociety.org).  It is a rather decent practical guide for
masonry design.  The 4th edition is per the 2002 MSJC (masonry code).
Since the 1997 UBC is nominally similar to the 1995 MSJC and/or the 1999
MSJC (but the UBC has strength design while those two codes do not), you
might see if you can get the 3rd edition still (based upon 1999 MSJC).  It
really should not matter, however, as the basics of ASD in masonry have
remained largely unchanged.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI