Re: Cracks in Masonry

David,

I assume based upon your description that the cracks basically occur at
the masonry mortar joints primarily (i.e. based upon your conclusion of
thermal effects...presumably thermal effects of the precast t-beam).  Is
that the case or do you have significant cracking of the CMU units
themselves?  Is the cracking/movement causing CMU blocks to basically move
out-of-plane (i.e. pull out from the wall)?  If the later is true, then I
could see some concerns of continuous bearing of the units at the bed
joints at the faces of the units (might be only down to bearing at the
webs if two successive courses don't line up).

I would say that if the "bearing" of the face bed joints is still
basically good and it is just a matter of some mortart joints opening up,
then using mortar might be OK.  But, I can't get a good feel for how bad
things may or may not be from your description.  I would say that the
biggest issue may not be the repair of the cracks, but rather has the
masonry lost enough structural integrity (i.e. out of plum or blocks no
longer sitting directly on top of each other or "buckling" of the the CMU)
to have general structural problems.  If the wall is stabile and doesn't
have any serious overall structural deficiencies, then mortaring the
cracks might be Ok.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI