Re: Bearing Stiffeners

Dave,
CSA S16.1-2004 does not have anything specific addressing bearing stiffeners connections in this regard, but clause 21.5 on compression members states that members finished to fit in contact "shall have sufficient fasteners or welds to hold all parts securely in place". The previous edition required you to design for 50% of the compression force being transmitted - I liked that better. Hope this helps.
Gary

Dave Lowen wrote:

I have recently moved and many of my books are “missing”, and I don’t wish to rely on my memory.

Does Canadian standard CSA-S6 have any rules on welding bearing stiffeners that are milled to bear at the bottom flange?

Regards,

Dave Lowen

V 780 470 5187

E jatech(--nospam--at)telus.net <mailto:jatech(--nospam--at)telus.net>