WT to HSS Out of Plane Moment Connection

Title: WT to HSS Out of Plane Moment Connection

I am looking at a glass canopy which is cantilevered from a torsion beam. The glass canopy is supported on a series of parallel WT beams that frame into the long side of a rectangular HSS section which is supported at its ends. At the connection to the HSS, the WT has the same depth as the HSS, with the flange on top.  I have some intuitive concerns about local buckling of the HSS because the WT will be delivering the compression load over a narrow width into the bottom flange of the HSS, which is unstiffened. There is a little bit of design guidance for out of plane moment connections for HSS to HSS in the AISC Steel Specification, but I dont see anything that really applies to the situation I am looking at. Anybody got a good reference you can point me to? Oh yeah, and to make things more interesting, the WTs are skewed to the HSS.

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.

720 3rd Avenue, Suite 1200

Seattle, WA 98104-1820

206 505 3400 Ext 126