Re: WT to HSS Out of Plane Moment Connection

Jim and Scott,
Blodgett did address this issue but I think the book "Design Guide for Hollow Structural Section Connections" by Packer & Henderson had more up to date information on plate attachments to HSS. It is available from the Canadian Institute for Steel Construction. I understand that there may be an American version. Jeffrey Packer also sells a computer program which solves some of these HSS connection problems but not that particular problem with the WT. You could do as Scott suggests and model it as a plate which will give a conservative solution.
Gary

Scott Maxwell wrote:
Jim,

You might try looking in Blodgett's book.  I seem to recall some sections
on welding a shear tab to the face of a HSS, which would be similar to
your situation.  I will admit, however, that I could be remembering
incorrectly.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI