Re: stone veneer with thinset

Title: Re: stone veneer with thinset
Truitt,

Adhered veneer is allowed in the code with limitations, see chapter 14 volume one of the 97 UBC

Tarek Mokhtar, SE
Laguna Beach, CA

List,

I originally designed a large residence in south Santa Barbara with 3"-4" stone veneer over 13'-0" wood stud walls using brick ties.  The owner has already purchased all the veneer through the interior designer.  The new stone is 1 ½" thick, and they want a dry stack look using thin set mortar over a scratch coat or the like.   I am being asked to validate the design as the company has no details on how to install it, nor is it specifically approved for this type of installation according to the architect.

I am aware of thinner, lighter veneer being used with thinset all the time.  Is there anyway to calculate the seismic design of this type of system?   I want to find out if anyone has seen this type of application in a high seismic zone or knows a way to justify it.  Of course, they are building it now and need to know yesterday.

Thanks,

Truitt Vance