Re: WT to HSS Out of Plane Moment Connection (Torsion??)

> From: "Conrad Harrison" <sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com>

> relatively remote. Also our codes have no rules for checking torsion. The
> design manual written to the code does provide guidance but it is still from
> a perspective of torsion as a secondary effect being induced by poor or
> unavoidable detailing issues. So there is obviously some traditional

Torsion is difficult to analyze and subject to complex end conditions.
The codes aim for the common conditions (e.g. beam, column, beam-column)
and make a passing reference to torsion analysis. There is no reason not
to use any member in torsion. Closed sections (e.g. round, square,
rectangular) are easier to assess and usually more torsionally rigid
than similar weight open sections (e.g. C, W).

> So if no one else has concerns about using a torsion beam, and it is common
> practice with proven history of success, I guess I have nothing to be
> concerned about. More over it opens up new possibilities for future
> projects, assuming I can find a suitable section, and get anyone to go along
> with the idea.

Twist that beam! For a real treat, suggest that the architect use a
round section instead of square or rectangular. Easier to analyze and
easier to fabricate if larger hollow sections are not readily available.

Regards
Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.