From: Jeff Hedman [mailto:jeff(--nospam--at)lrpope.com]
Sent: Mon 1/22/2007 6:59 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ACI 318-05 minimum slab on grade reinforcement spacing

I have been searching through the code for minimum slab on grade spacing.  It appears that according to ACI 318-05 7.6.5 and 7.12.2.2 limit the maximum reinforcing spacing to 18" o.c.  Is there no way around this for a slab on grade?  It doesn't appear so but I have seen plenty of other plans as well as geotechnical reports that state #3 bars @ 24" o.c. or #4 bars @ 24" o.c. to be used.  Neither meets the 18" o.c. requirement and for the #3 bars to meet the 0.0018 reinforcement ratio the #3 bars should be spaced at 15" o.c.

Jeff Hedman , E.I.T.

L.R. Pope Engineers & Surveyors, Inc.

1240 East 100 South Suite # 15B

St. George, Utah  84790

Office: 435-628-1676

Fax: 435-628-1788

email: jeff(--nospam--at)lrpope.com <mailto:jeff(--nospam--at)lrpope.com>