From: Stuart, Matthew [mailto:mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 2:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ACI 318-05 minimum slab on grade reinforcement spacing

Jeff,

Geotechnical reports, in my opinion, should not be used as a guideline for
minimum reinforcement and spacing requirements.

I would recommend that you not exceed the Code maximum of 18-inches on
center and I would also recommend that you not use anything less than a #5
bar. #4 and particularly #3 bars are very susceptible to damage just due to
foot traffic before and during the slab pour.

Lastly, I would highly recommend that, if there are any senior engineers in
your office, that you don't be shy and ask for their input. Senior engineers
are usually more than willing to share with the new guys how they like to do
things.

Matthew Stuart

  _____