Re: WT as Vertical Bracing

Michael,

If you are connecting the gusset plate to the flange of the Tee then for normal sized WTs the eccentricity should be very small.  For statically loaded single angel, double angle, and similar members the eccentricity can be ignored per AISC J 1.7 Placement of Welds and Bolts.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Zhang Michael" <michael_z_zhang(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
01/23/2007 02:28 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
WT as Vertical Bracing

Hi,

I am thinking of using WT as vertical bracings for structures in low
seismic area.

When I try to calculate the capacity of WT taking into consideration of
eccentricity between the centroid of WT and that of Gusset plate, as having
being done by Professor Sakla for eccentrically - loaded single angle
struts, I find that the capacity is significantly lower than those given
out in Table 4-7 for WT in Axial Compression (AISC 13th Edition).

What is your practice? Do you take the eccentricity into consideration?

I also checked the recommended WT size and capacity in the following
article:
http://www.aisc.org/MSCTemplate.cfm?Section=Back_Issues1&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=32104

I find that the WT sizes recommended in the above article seems not enough
if I take into consideration of eccentricity. As I have not yet double
checked my calculation, maybe I am wrong.The authors are authorities, more
possible they are correct.

By the way, there is hurricane in the area, design wind speed could be more
than 250 km/hr. If WT a good selection as vertical bracings in open
structure?

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael Zhang