From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Thursday, 25 January 2007 03:39
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: bad science - CSI Miami

On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Andrew Kester, PE wrote:

> Something tells me a diamond has a bit higher compressive strength
> than that.
D	iamonds are hard--not strong. Hardness means resistance to
indentation and surface scratching, so a common check for genuineness
is a scratch test against a substance of  known hardness, using Mohs
scale:

Moh	Mineral			Brinell
10		Diamond
9		Corundum		667
8		Topaz			304
7		Quartz			178
6		Feldspar		147
5		Apatite		137
4		Fluorspar		  64
3		Calcite			  53
2		Gypsum		  12
1		Talc			    3
Mohs Scale Is Still Used in Mineralogy & Gemmology

Something to break the ice with at our next cocktail party.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/