RE: steel beam vibration

I don't have Design Guide 11 but I recall the forcing function for a person going down stairs is quite a bit higher than when walking across a horizontal surface.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com
Subject: Re: steel beam vibration

I would go by the AISC Design Guide 11,  remembering that your forcing function won't be perpendicular to the beam. You can resolve it into components to get the magnitudes. You might look at the top and bottom connections to see if the axial component is causing issues as the loads transfer into the landing(s).

Jordan

Andrew Kester, PE wrote:

Listers,

Any resources on checking a HSS member that is a stair stringer for vibration/bounce?

It is not a deflection issue, it is when once person is on the stair they notice "bounce" ?

Also, ideas on how to take this away, adding a column near mid span is an option. Total diagonal length is 33ft.

Please CC me directly in addition to the list.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC