RE: Web Tapered Members and the 2005 AISC specification

Paul -

Thanks.  That's a pretty good summary of what the tapered texts are.
Although, your e-mail has basically confirmed my fears.  Without an AISC
specification, it seems that everyone is pretty much free to make up their
own design criteria for these tapered members.  But, that is what it is...

Does anyone (Charlie Carter maybe?) know if AISC has an explanation as to
why this section has been removed?  My guess is that they got a lot of
complaints that it specifically excluded many of the tapered members that
people were actually using.

For what it's worth the 2005 specification isn't that much different from
the 3rd edition LRFD.  They've re-arranged a bunch of things that didn't
need to be re-arranged.  They haven't even made an attempt at updating the
commentary.  But, it's not all that bad.  It'll just take some getting used
to.

Sincerely,

Josh Plummer, SE
Lake Forest, CA