Re: steel beam vibration

Chapter 5 of the design guide (AISC #11)covers rhythmic activity. Although the rhythmic activity in the guide is typically for dancing, aerobics, and other exercise, I would be surprised to find out that (energetic) stair climbing does not fall within the parameters used for design of the former. Your description, less reference to stairs, exactly describes aerobic activity.

Jordan

Mark Gilligan wrote:
Stairs are different:
-- The footfall height is higher.
-- The time between hitting each thread tends to be
the same thus there is a greater possibility of
resonance.
--If multiple people are using the stair they will
tend to hit the threads at the same time.  When people
are walking over a floor each persons pace is
different.

The one good thing about stairs is that people are on
their feet and moving and thus more forgiving of the
vibration in the stairs.

One simplistic criteria that I have heard is to ensure
that natural frequency is at least 10 Hz.  This is
calculated assuming that the people on the stair are
part of the dead load.