Re: Metal Plate Wood Trusses

I've NEVER seen a situation where the EOR designed and specified the truss
components - and I've worked in several states/regions - NC, AZ, FL, now
DC.  I have seen the EOR specify what species of wood was desired, and I've
seen the EOR include diagrams of the truss shapes (usually just the
outlines of the chords, leaving the web layout to the truss designer).  For
special situations where there is a need for web member coordination (such
as an attic walkway, or mechanical equipment/ducts located within the truss
space) I've seen more detailed diagrams to indicate these requirements.
Personally, I prefer to delegate the responsibility for designing/sizing
the members and connection plates to the truss manufacturer.  I check the
shop drawings to be sure the design loads used were adequate, and that the
truss member geometry is acceptable, and that they are sealed by a licensed
engineer.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has designed/specified the truss
components as part of the EOR's drawings?

Brad

             Mark Gilligan
             <mark.gilligan@sb
             cglobal.net>                                               To
                                       seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
             01/27/2007 10:03                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Metal Plate Wood Trusses
             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

When I specify metal plate connected wood trusses I
assume that I am specifying a product that will be
designed by the manufacturer. The design specification
is ANSI/TP 1.  The author of a master specification
that I am reviewing, believes that it is reasonably
common for the engineer designing the structure to
design the trusses, specifying the metal plate sizes
as well as the sizes and grades of the wood members.
Under this scenario all the manufacturer of the truss
would do is fabricate the trusses.

I would like to know how often this second scenario,
where the EOR designs and details the truss, actually
occurs.  If the EOR designs these trusses what are the
typical circumstances where this occurs?  Is this a
regional thing?

Your input would be appreciated.