re: screws in wood diaphgragm

Joseph,
I did not find anything in the 2005 NDS about screws in wood diaphragms but they do have values for gypsum attached with screws. I think it would be ok if the screw diameter, head, and strength could be matched up with a nail size in the diaphgram tables, you could use that value. The resulting diaphgram would likely be stiffer with less deflection because you don't have as much nail slip, and your uplift resistance would go up. I would think you will make a GC pretty upset though, that is a lot slower than a nail gun.

Maybe Buddy at APA or their website would answer this more definitively..

Andrew

Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
Lake Mary, FL