Re: Metal Plate Wood Trusses

Mark,
That would be like the EOR having to design steel joists. Usually it is the fabricator or joist supplier who designs them, It is the same situation for wood trusses, with the truss supplier having specially written software for all the different kinds of trusses. I have never heard of it being otherwise.
Gary

Mark Gilligan wrote:
When I specify metal plate connected wood trusses I
assume that I am specifying a product that will be
designed by the manufacturer. The design specification
is ANSI/TP 1.  The author of a master specification
that I am reviewing, believes that it is reasonably
common for the engineer designing the structure to
design the trusses, specifying the metal plate sizes
as well as the sizes and grades of the wood members. Under this scenario all the manufacturer of the truss
would do is fabricate the trusses.

I would like to know how often this second scenario,
where the EOR designs and details the truss, actually
occurs.  If the EOR designs these trusses what are the
typical circumstances where this occurs?  Is this a
regional thing?

Your input would be appreciated.