Re: screws in wood diaphragm

If you are going to allow the use of screws in a diaphragm subject to cycled loading I'd make sure the grip (non-threaded portion) is long enough to keep the threads out of bending. Screws are generally hardened/brittle & are prone to fatigue failures. Lap shear tests are typically not cycled loading & do not address this problem.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Jim Lutz wrote:

I also seem to recall hearing that nails are a better choice than screws because screws are more brittle. It also seems intuitive to me that a nailed structure would tend to have a much higher damping ratio due to the nature of pullout versus a screw, which is also a good thing.

***Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E*.

720 3rd Avenue, Suite 1200

Seattle, WA 98104-1820

206 505 3400 Ext 126