RE: Embedded Pole (UNCLASSIFIED)

I have usually seen geotechs allowing 2.5 times the caisson width for
passive resistance. So if you embed an 8" pole in sand I would guess you can
take 2.5 x 8 in = 20 in diameter for purposes of the flagpole formulae. But
I would check with a soils engineer first.

Mark E. Deardorff
Structural Engineer

3434 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
P 619.299.5550 x348
F 619.299.9934
mdeardorff(--nospam--at)burkett-wong.com