RE: Embedded Pole (UNCLASSIFIED)

David,

I would suggest  RUS BULLETIN 1724E-205, USDA " Design Guide: Embedment
depth for Concrete and Steel Poles"

This publication has several charts as well as design examples (manual
type) including the effect of gound condition such as water table depth,
type of soil, etc.

I hope this will help your case.

Himat

>>> mdeardorff(--nospam--at)burkett-wong.com 01/30/07 2:08 PM >>>
I have usually seen geotechs allowing 2.5 times the caisson width for
passive resistance. So if you embed an 8" pole in sand I would guess
you can
take 2.5 x 8 in = 20 in diameter for purposes of the flagpole formulae.
But
I would check with a soils engineer first.

Mark E. Deardorff
Structural Engineer

3434 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103