From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil] Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Embedded Pole (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The 2006 IBC also says you can tamp in clean sand in 8" lifts in the annular space. This is not saying that you can put 3 feet of sand all the way around your column and say the column width is 6 feet diameter. I thought I had seen some design guide for fences that said you could pack gravel around the column to increase the effective diameter.