RE: COMPUTER: Compare/Contrast Tekla, PDS, Autoplant, etc.

Bill –

I for one can vouch for Integraph’s PDS package.  I used to work for a very large company that did heavy industrial projects (PetroChem, Power Plant, Refineries, et cetera).  Everything was PDS.  Every discipline (Piping, Vessels, Mechanical, Structural, Civil, Electrical, et cetera) used PDS for everything.  While I’m sure it was a ridiculously expensive package.  It allowed us to build plants faster and with less conflict between disciplines.

I worked on one significant project without PDS and we screwed everything up.  We should have seen it coming, but I think we became too reliant on the automatic interference checking in PDS that we forgot how to do some of that ourselves.

From what I understand, Autoplant is Bentley’s copycat version of PDS.  It might do the same sorts of things, but I’ve never used it and cannot vouch for it.  Tekla seems like a totally different kind of package.

Sincerely,

Josh Plummer, S.E.