Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: COMPUTER: Compare/Contrast Tekla, PDS, Autoplant, etc.[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: COMPUTER: Compare/Contrast Tekla, PDS, Autoplant, etc.
- From: "Josh Plummer" <josh.plummer(--nospam--at)cox.net>
- Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:39:24 -0800
I for one can vouch for Integraph’s PDS package. I used to work for a very large company that did heavy industrial projects (PetroChem, Power Plant, Refineries, et cetera). Everything was PDS. Every discipline (Piping, Vessels, Mechanical, Structural, Civil, Electrical, et cetera) used PDS for everything. While I’m sure it was a ridiculously expensive package. It allowed us to build plants faster and with less conflict between disciplines.
I worked on one significant project without PDS and we screwed everything up. We should have seen it coming, but I think we became too reliant on the automatic interference checking in PDS that we forgot how to do some of that ourselves.
From what I understand, Autoplant is Bentley’s copycat version of PDS. It might do the same sorts of things, but I’ve never used it and cannot vouch for it. Tekla seems like a totally different kind of package.
Josh Plummer, S.E.
We're having a big brouhaha currently regarding the appropriate software modeling tools for onshore industrial/petrochem/refinery projects (say $30 million-$250 million range).
We have someone advocating TEKLA for structural modeling. However, it appears that TEKLA is strictly for structural steel detailing. Others are saying that we ought to use the venerable PDS package, and still others are touting Autoplant.
When customer/client mandate is not a consideration, what are your opinions regarding the relative merits of these packages? Are there any others you would consider?
- Prev by Subject: COMPUTER: Compare/Contrast Tekla, PDS, Autoplant, etc.
- Next by Subject: Re: COMPUTER: Compare/Contrast Tekla, PDS, Autoplant, etc.
- Previous by thread: COMPUTER: Compare/Contrast Tekla, PDS, Autoplant, etc.
- Next by thread: Re: COMPUTER: Compare/Contrast Tekla, PDS, Autoplant, etc.