Re: WIRE ROPE ACCESSORIES

The little book that I have is the Riggers' Hand Book from Broderick & Bascom Rope Co. I have the 85th Anniversary Issue, which was printed in 1961.

Page R-125 has the illustration for the Yellow Strand Drop Forged Wire Rope Clips, which will include the amount of minimum clips required, depending upon the rope diameter. Doesn't give the tightening criteria in foot-lbs though.

On Page R-155, the book provide the efficiency of wire rope connections, which varies from 50% to 100%, depending upon what whether you are using sockets, wedge sockets or spliced eye and thimbles.

Crosby Laughlin's catallog provides the amount of minimum clips, rope turn back and torque in lbs-ft. It also describes the installation of the wire rope clips.

ASCE 17, which is referenced by the UBC provides somewhat different efficiencies and safety factors that the rigging industry if I remember correctly.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB
neil moore and associates
consulting structural engineers