aluminum weld

Listers,
We have reviewed the 2005 Alum Design Manual and we cannot find a
MINIMUM base material thickness for welding vs the weld size. Such as
with AISC you cannot exceed the base material -1/16" up to 1/4", for
example (from memory).

We have a fabricator telling us he always uses 1/4" weld on 1/8" tube
to a 3/8" base plate. He claims anything thicker and he has to preheat
it and it is more difficult to heat up and keep at the right
temperature...

Besides an opinion, which is fine, does anyone have the section in the
manual or any other source addressing this?

It is not a one time deal where we can just be bullies and say do it
our way. Our client supplies these handrail assemblies to schools all
around the state and "they have been doing it this way forever."  So I
need positive ammo..

TIA,
Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering