RE: aluminum weld

Andrew

As far as I know the minimum weld size to material thickness requirements
are just recommendations, they are not science. They may not actually be
suitable for a given situation. But they are mostly concerned with
weldability not structural requirement.

Aluminum is a better conductor than steel, which probably accounts for its
larger HAZ, and is more difficult to weld. From memory I think there are all
kinds of heat sinks and insulator blocks that can be used to control heat
flow in a weld. But that makes welding expensive.

Is the base plate not thick enough?

Regards
Steven CONRAD Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Roy Harrison & Associates
Consulting Engineers (Structural)
PO Box 104
Para Hills
SA 5096
South Australia
tel: 8395 2177
fax: 8395 8477

Listers,
We have reviewed the 2005 Alum Design Manual and we cannot find a
MINIMUM base material thickness for welding vs the weld size. Such as
with AISC you cannot exceed the base material -1/16" up to 1/4", for
example (from memory).

We have a fabricator telling us he always uses 1/4" weld on 1/8" tube
to a 3/8" base plate. He claims anything thicker and he has to preheat
it and it is more difficult to heat up and keep at the right
temperature...

Besides an opinion, which is fine, does anyone have the section in the
manual or any other source addressing this?

It is not a one time deal where we can just be bullies and say do it
our way. Our client supplies these handrail assemblies to schools all
around the state and "they have been doing it this way forever."  So I
need positive ammo..

TIA,
Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering