Re: Unblaanced snow on 12 in 12 roof (UNCLASSIFIED)

I think we may need a tiered system like seismic and wind, where there is a simplified version for lower load areas and/or simple structures. It's good to have ready access to the exact formulas for use in practice - sometimes you just need an exact answer. But for smaller, straight forward projects they just add a large burden to the engineering fee. And I don't agree with you on waterboarding. While I'm certain that it probably would be defined a torture by many, I feel - personally - that with the tremendous knowledge and creativity of the practicing engineers in this country we can certainly devise far more painful, traumatic, and emotionally scarring experiences for code writers. :-)

Jordan

Haan, Scott M POA wrote:
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED Caveats: NONE

I always check unbalanced snow for rafters, roof deck, headers and ridge
beam. I've found in Alaska it almost always controls. I think I've seen a lot
of people wrongly assume the balanced snow will produce bigger affects.
The new ASCE 7 formulas make it a pain in the but for over 20'=W where I used
to be able to do it quickly with a calculator.
Whoever wrote the new unbalanced snow formulas should be waterboarded at
Gitmo.