From: seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: Unblaanced snow on 12 in 12 roof (UNCLASSIFIED)

I think we may need a tiered system like seismic and wind, where there is a simplified version for lower load areas and/or simple structures. It's good to have ready access to the exact formulas for use in practice - sometimes you just need an exact answer. But for smaller, straight forward projects they just add a large burden to the engineering fee.
And I don't agree with you on waterboarding. While I'm certain that it probably would be defined a torture by many, I feel - personally - that with the tremendous knowledge and creativity of the practicing engineers in this country we can certainly devise far more painful, traumatic, and emotionally scarring experiences for code writers. :-)

Jordan

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp