From: bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 3:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: POLL: Who "Designs" Your Structural Steel Connections?

In the latest edition of AISC's "Code of Standard Practice for Steel Bridges and Buildings," Section 3.1.2 begins as follows:

"The Owner's Designated Representative for Design shall EITHER show the complete design of the Connections in the structural Design Drawings OR allow the Fabricator to select or complete the Connection details while preparing the Shop and Erection drawings." [EMPHASIS Mine]

Herewith, an information poll question:

Which of the two methods of "designing" the connections do you typically use on your projects?

(A) I do my own connection designs, and show them on my design drawings.

(B) I allow the Fabricator to "select or complete" the connection details, providing the appropriate information on my design drawings to enable this.