Re: POLL: Who "Designs" Your Structural Steel Connections?

In between. I generally leave simple connection design to the fabricator, but I will show "sample" connections to indicate what I want for more complicated connections. I also state for simple shear double angle connections that the depth of bolts in the connection must cover half the beam depth. We have a real problem (and some frank discussion) up here with most consultants delegating design of connections to the fabricator's engineers so that, generally,the quality of the consultants drawings is not as good (extensive) as most US consultants drawings. I never ask for a fabricator's engineer to stamp shop drawings. However with new seismic requirements (similar to US) in our code as of 1 Jan 07, this may change somewhat, I hope.
Gary

bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc wrote:
In the latest edition of AISC's "Code of Standard Practice for Steel Bridges and Buildings," Section 3.1.2 begins as follows: "The Owner's Designated Representative for Design shall EITHER show the complete design of the Connections in the structural Design Drawings OR allow the Fabricator to select or complete the Connection details while preparing the Shop and Erection drawings." [EMPHASIS Mine] Herewith, an information poll question: Which of the two methods of "designing" the connections do you typically use on your projects?

(A) I do my own connection designs, and show them on my design drawings.

(B) I allow the Fabricator to "select or complete" the connection details, providing the appropriate information on my design drawings to enable this.