RE: POLL: Who "Designs" Your Structural Steel Connections?

Bill,

You should have added one more option:

C)I simply avoid doing any connection design work and I leave it to the fabricator's detailer who ought to know how to do this. Of course I make it easy for him by  sometimes showing some loads here and there and at other times put in helpful "catch all"  notes like "full moment capacity", "full tension capacity", "half udl capacity, even if the spans are 3' or less and  when the shop dwgs are received, I start to do my homework and change all that the detailer has done and then wait for the heartfelt "thank you" note from the detailer and fabricator. If I can't figure out what the detailer has done, I  ask the fabricator to submit signed and sealed calculations in support of the connection details and then forget the matter.

Regards
Vish

in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
to find your fit.