Re: Chain or Wire Rope

> From: "Andy Heigley" <aheigley(--nospam--at)jgaeng.com>

> Does anybody have any or know where to get any good design resources for
> wire rope or chain?  Or do most people just look at proprietary product
> literature, and use the capacities they list?  Any good links?

It depends on your purpose:
Common Lifting slings and such are different animals than rope used on
the reel of a crane. Understanding the hardware is critical to working
with wire rope.

I pulled these from my bookmarks. Some are suppliers and some have good
information on the technology and applications and some are both:

http://www.slingchoker.com/sling2/products.htm
Sling-Choker Catalogue
http://home.gci.net/~trey/cable.html
Some Facts of Cable and Cable Whiplash
http://www.inventionfactory.com/history/RHAwire/introwr/introwre.html
An Introduction to Wire Rope
http://www.inventionfactory.com/history/RHAwire/
Roebling's Wire and Wire Products
http://www.marine.gov.uk/wire_rope_test.htm
Wire Rope Test
http://www.wrca.com/support.html
WRCA - Wire Rope Corporation of America, Inc.
http://www.wirerope.com/contents.htm
Wire Rope Industries
http://broadwaysplicing.com/
Broadway Splicing & Supply, Inc providing wire splicing products to
industry.
http://www.gatorsupply.com/index.html
Gator Supply Company
http://www.loosco.com/index2.htm
Loos & Co. Inc. products are made to meet the needs of our customers.
http://www.feeneygateway.com/feeneywire.html
Feeney Gateway
http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/
The Crosby Group
http://www.awpa.org/
American Wire Producers Association
http://www.webriggingsupply.com/pages/catalog/hardware/wireropeclips.htm
WebRiggingSupply - Hardware > Wire Rope Clips
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/campbell/index.cfm?warning=except
Campbell®- Chains, blocks, clamps, and fittings
http://www.all-lifts.com/
Lifts, hoists, hoist, overhead cranes, tower crane, gantry,Vertical
Reciprocating Conveyors or VRCs; also called Freight Elevators,
Mezzanine Lifts, Freight Lifts, Material Elevators or Vertical Platform
Lifts,Hilman, Rollers, Load Skates, Dollies, Heavy
http://www.clevelandcityforge.com/
Clevis Turnbuckle Yoke Eyebolt Eyenut Available From Cleveland City
Forge
http://www.certifiedslings.com/catalog/3-clips-thimbles.shtml
Wire Rope Clips & Thimbles

"Aircraft cable" is the term for most common wire rope 3/8 inch dia and
less and usually not black. TYpically available at your hardware store.
Use this to cut out the chaff when doing net searches.

There are material and product standards (e.g. ASTM).

Also, see Christopher Wright's response.

Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International