virus protection

I know this has probably been discussed before.  I just wasted a whole weekend with Norton.  First was ask by them to uninstall all Norton products then reinstall.  Two days of waiting on the telephone for tech help and never could reinstall the software.  The final answer was to return my money for the online download and be told to go buy the CD from the store.  I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.  Go buy the CD or use another protection software.

Any thoughts out there.
Thanks,
Joe Grill