RE: HP 430 plotter

Interesting…  I’ll have to double check how my plotter is connected, though I think I do have a USB connection…  As far as my plotter getting bogged down, it usually is solved by processing the plot through the computer memory.  I believe the plotter comes with 2MB RAM.  But, I’ve noticed when I’ve sent a 200k file, CAD or PDF, the file magically grows to over 3MB(!).  How, I don’t know.  I’ll let you tomorrow…

Thx.

David

From: S. Gordin [mailto:mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: HP 430 plotter

David,

I called HP techsupport, and here is what they told me for 40 bucks (fixed fee, and you can call every minute for 5 days, sic!).

New computers usually come without parallel ports (USB only, like mine).  Designjet 430 has only parallel port connection.  I tried to use parallel-to-USB cable, and even installed a parallel port card, all to get the same negative result. According to HP, all this does not really work, with the only real solution being the motherboard-based (manufacturer-installed) parallel port.

Naturally, I asked them what should I throw away - my new computer or my old plotter.  They said that I can try changing the setting of the plotter to process the file in the computer "if the plotter runs out of memory."

Amazingly enough, this worked... That is, so far it does.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA