RE: Moment Connection Question

A common fix in these situations is to apply weld
metal to the face of the column to build it out untill
you can perform the weld.  This is refered to as
buttering.

Extending the beam flanges with a piece of metal may
require less weld metal and thus be cheaper.

>From your positing it is not clear who selected the
particular welding procedure.  My practice is not to
specify specific welding procedures nor to limit them
to the use of pre-qualified weld procedures. not only
is this acceptable to AWS but it also makes the
contractor responsible for resolving any welding
procedure issues.