Re: HP 430 plotter

I have found networking in Windoze XP to be a pain in a$$ at times.  At
least in setting up shared folders and shared printers.  I have found that
if the computers are not in the same workgroup, then the network "browser"
in Windows has trouble finding the shared folders or printers some times.
As an example, I have one of my dad's old computers setup with a LaserJet
6MP that is then set to be shared.  I cannot locate that printer for some
reason through the network browser on his main desktop.  I can get to the
printer if I specify the actual network address of the printer (i.e.
\\machine name\printer name).

When Windoze XP networking works, it works just fine.  But, it seems to
have odd little quirks that sometime rear their head.

And networking into Windoze computer from a Mac can sometimes be a piece
of cake, but other times be a major pain in the a$$.  And I can never seem
to figure out why it works sometimes and other times it does not.

Ah, the joy of computers.

And I agree whole heartedly that old computer work great as printer
servers (especially if the printer is a parallel port printer but the new
computer does not have a parallel port).  I have my own LaserJet 6MP
hooked up to my desktop Windoze computer and shared so that Windoze on my
laptop (actually Windoze running in virtualization on my Mac) can printer
to it by way of the network (either wireless or wired).  I also have the
LaserJet 6MP hooked up to an old Mac G4 tower and shared (the 6MP has two,
autoswitching parallel ports) so that I can print from my Mac laptop.

You can also use this method to share files/folders (or you can buy a
network drive), allowing you to access files from anywhere in the house.
Thus, I can use my laptop down in the family room to do work if I want
(either wirelessly or by using a wired port down there).

Someone mentioned that they noticed that some files went from like 300k to
3 mb when printing.  With regard to that, keep in mind that when the files
is on you hard drive, it is in the "language" of whatever application that
it was created in (i.e. an AutoCad file will be in AutoCad's "language",
etc).  Yet, when you dump that file to a printer, the printer driver must
convert that files from the application's "language" into a "language"
that the printer can understand and interpret.  And printer "languages"
are generally not nearly as effecient as many application's "languages".
Thus, it is not too uncommon to see some small file when stored on the
hard drive turn into a rather large file when it is sitting in the
printer's queue.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI