Re: Torsion in Wood Members

Title: Re: Torsion in Wood Members

Before I answer that, please read what the LRFD Commentary says regarding torsion in wood members:

C5.5 Resistance of Members in Torsion
Timber members are sometimes, but not often,
designed to resist torsional loadings. In general, it
is advised that the structure be designed to avoid
wood member torsional stiffness and strength being
the principal or only path for the carrying of
load.

A wood member loaded to failure in torsion displays
a longitudinal, parallel to grain splitting. A
rectangular wood member has a fairly large torsion
constant, J, but low relevant material strength and
stiffness. Thus, wood is not very efficient as a torsion
member and the design principles for its use
as such have not been well defined. The contents
of Sec. 5.5 are those in the Timber Construction
Manual (AITC, 1994), including the torsional
shear strength definition for glued laminated members.
The torsional shear strength limit for solid sawn
members is from the Wood Handbook (Forest
Products Laboratory, 1987).
*****

Based on the Wood Handbook, I think you still have to use b as the smaller dimension and d as the larger dimension regardless of beam orientation. Take a look at the Wood Handbook page 8-4 for background on the torsion equation.

HTH

Buddy