Re: Unofficial Definition of Structural Engineering

Thank you to all who replied.  That is exactly what I needed.

Daniel Popp

----- Original Message ----
From: Michelle Motchos <mmotchos(--nospam--at)sw-sc.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2007 8:05:53 AM
Subject: RE: Unofficial Definition of Structural Engineering

This is the version I have posted:

?Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.?
attributed to Dr AR Dykes British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976.

Michelle Motchos, PE
Steve ns & Wilkinson of South Carolina, Inc.

Columbia, Sc