Re: Masonry Assoc, society and institute

David,

The Masonry Society is the "catch call" for the technical side of things.
They are the "keeper" of the masonry code, along with ACI and ASCE/SEI.
They cover both clay brick and CMU, as well as all other forms masonry.
They are the ACI of masonry, except they are younger and smaller (at this
point).  Being a member of TMS gets you a discount on the MSJC (masonry
code)...but then so does being a member of ACI or ASCE.

The biggest reason that I can see to be a member of NCMA is to get their
TEK notes.  But, then you can also get their TEK notes for free from the
web.  I maintain a membership with NCMA by way of TMS (which gets me a
discount).  I consider it supporting the industry.  NCMA has some good
masonry design software, but I believe the price is the same for members
and non-members.

BIA is another one that you can get their TEK notes for free by way of the
web, so I don't see membership as "key".

I will admit that I have never really dealt with the others.

I would encourage keeping your membership with TMS.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI