Re: Steel SMRF on Conc. shearwall

It's not discontinuous.

What you do is design the portion above the shearwall using the appropriate R factor. Then you get your reactions from the above structure, scale them by the relative Rtop/Rbot ratios and design the lower portion using the R for the lower system.

It's like treated them as two separate structures where you transfer the reactions from above to below.

It's not a soft story or anything like a vertical irregularity. In tall structures it's something to monitor and examine the combined stiffness effects and drift issues.

-gm