bridge uplift

Good afternoon,

I am struggling with the Caltrans BDS wording regarding the wind uplift:

"3.15.3 Overturning Forces

?an upward force shall be applied at the windward quarter point of the transverse superstructure width. This force shall be 20 pounds per square foot of deck and sidewalk plan area?"

What is this "transverse superstructure" and where is the quarter point of its width?  For example, am I supposed to collect 20 PSF from the entire bridge width and apply it at a point 0.25*(bridge width) as a linear upward force?

TIA

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA