Re: bridge uplift

Steve-

Having interacted with CalTrans bridge folks for number of years but I've never done any bridge design

that said, my associates who are "structures types" but do building not bridges

say  "those bridge guys really look at things differently"

One thing I did learn is that the CaTrans folks talk in "bridge directions"

Longitudinal is the direction of the span & transverse is ......well transverse to the longitudinal direction

I would agree with your assessment of

......collect 20 PSF from the entire bridge width and apply it at a point 0.25*(bridge width) as a linear upward force....

Bridge with including traffic deck & sidewalk

cheers
Bob

Do you have a contact in design group in Sacto?  They could