Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Screwed Plywood Diaphragms

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Thank you, it was the 5280 report. The 5053 report is for the Simpson Screw which requires a special installation tool.  If anybody has used the Grabber Screws before, the diaphragm table has values for a #8x1.75" screw and a minimum penetration of 1.25" which would suggest 3/4" plywood thickness.  However, Figure 1 lists a 2.5" screw for a 1.125" plywood thickness.  It doesn't say that the longer screws and thicker plywood give the same shear values unless I missed something.  Does anyone know for sure?  I am assuming that it does.
Thank you again.  I don't know why I couldn't get a "find" on the ICC web.

On 2/14/07, Will Blanchard <will(--nospam--at)> wrote:

Joe, maybe it was what you suggested off the bat?


Hope that helps


Will Blanchard

Project Engineer




Structural Design Associates

(425) 339-0293

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Grill [mailto: jrg40581(--nospam--at)
: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:40 PM

Subject: Re: Screwed Plywood Diaphragms


David, I think that was for High Load Diaphragms?  I seem to recal that someone sent a report number for diaphragm values using screws.  I had found reports for I think "Grabber Screws", but can't find them again on the ICC website.




On 2/14/07, David Topete < dtopete(--nospam--at) > wrote:

I believe it was ESR-1952.  Good luck on your new endeavor.


David A. Topete, SE

Structural Engineer


GFDS Engineers

543 Howard St. , First Floor

San Francisco , CA 94105

v : (415) 512-1301 x21

f : (415) 512-1302



From: Joseph Grill [mailto: jrg40581(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Screwed Plywood Diaphragms


I am very sorry to ask this question again so soon, but I am changing jobs and most of my library is packed.  Of course there is one thing that I packed that I can't get to when I need it.  A few weeks ago I posted a question about plywood diaphragm attachments and there was a response with an ICC or NER #.  I have also lost that.  I have searched the archives,  but can't seem to find the thread and have also done a search in the ICC web site, but can't seem to get back to the report.  Does anyone have that information handy.


Joe Grill