Re: Definition of a Collector

One of the big advantages of the list is definitions/ideas/issues being vetted out. I am teaching a course on Seismic Design of Structures and we talked about collectors and have found this thread of discussion useful in giving some examples.

Thank you all for the enthusiastic participation in the list

Ganesh Thiagarajan

On 2/11/07, Paul Ransom <ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org> wrote:
> Subject: Definition of a Collector

> The million dollar question is: Should the slab diaphragm to wall
> connections described above be designed to resist amplified collector
> forces? If so, does anyone have a code reference that tells me to do
> this?

The 2 cent response: What is the down side to designing it as a
collector and not worrying about a definition?

Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International