RE: bracing suspended ceiling elements

Section 1632.1 of UBC requires all nonstructural elements to be attached and braced (with the exception of roof or floor mounted elements weighing les than 400 lb). In your case, I would say you definitely need to design the anchorage and bracing.

Ben Yousefi, SE

Santa Monica, CA

From: Jeff Smith [mailto:jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:12 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: bracing suspended ceiling elements

I am working on a bank T.I. The bank has 20' ceilings. The architect wants to hang from the ceiling several acoustic panel assemblies that are irregular shape, around 10'x15' x 9 feet tall.

He would like to treat them as you would a hanging light that is free to swing. The weight of each one could be as much as 800# and they could be separated from each other by 2 feet.

Is this legal (bay area). I thought I had read restrictions on this kind of thing based on weight and/or square footage.

Jeff